Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Stanley Brothers - The Complete Rich-R-Tone 78s (1947-1952)


The more I listen to/learn about John Fahey, the more I realize how much of the fucking man he was, and how he really knew what was up. Not only did he found the fantastic Takoma Records, but also created Revenant Records later on. Revenant's discography is comprised of reissues and compilations of some really choice artists - any label that puts out music by Derek Bailey, Charley Patton, Sir Richard Bishop and Albert Ayler deserves praise. This is a compilation of material from Carter and Ralph - The Stanley Brothers. I didn't know anything about 'em besides what I'd heard from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, but this comp sounds nothing like that. This record is full of banjo-pluckin', fiddle-playin' foot stompers. I love the vocal harmonies in bluegrass, and they are so tight here. I feel like I need to find a really old-timey radio to hear this properly. Really wonderful music, give it a listen.

Tracklist:

1. Molly And Tenbrook
2. The Rambler's Blues
3. Mother No Longer Awaits Me At Home
4. The Girl Behind The Bar
5. Little Maggie
6. The Little Glass Of Wine
7. Our Darling's Gone
8. The Jealous Lover
9. I Can Tell You The Time
10. Little Birdie
11. Little Glass Of Wine
12. Death Is Only A Dream
13. Little Girl And The Dreadful Snake
14. Are You Waiting Just For Me?

Download

1 comment:

  1. great blog, thanks for sharing, it makes the learning so much faster and easier, go the net!

    ReplyDelete