Monday, November 23, 2009

Marvin Gaye - I Want You (1976) (320)



I have mixed feelings about I Want You, in which Marvin makes a departure from the sounds that had made him famous with Motown and on What's Going On and Let's Get It On. I initially copped it because of the cover art, Ernie Barnes' Sugar Shack, and was almost disappointed at the distinctly lighter, almost disco groove. Like Let's Get It On, the album is best enjoyed alone with someone you love. Largely composed of slow jams, it's definitely a mood record, but it's one of Marvin's most intimate performances. The sincerity of his voice throughout songs like "Since I Had You" and the obvious highlight of the album, the title track "I Want You" shines brilliantly. On some of the more sensual jams, like "All the Way Round" and "Feel My Love Inside", his voice borders on the whiny, but this is definitely one of the records to keep ready for after the candle-lit dinner.

Tracklist:

1. I Want You
2. Come Live With Me Angel
3. After The Dance
4. Feel All My Love Inside
5. I Wanna Be Where You Are
6. I Want You (Intro Jam)
7. All The Way 'Round
8. Since I Had You
9. Soon I'll Be Loving You Again
10. I Want You (Jam)
11. After The Dance

Tamla, 1976

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment